Sunday, December 6, 2009

Role Model



I chose Maya Angelo not only because she is a strong black woman, but because of the trials she faced throughout her childhood. She went through a different setting than I but the story reflects similar emotions. Her mother and father separated, she started to live with her grandmother, and she was raped. Her vow of silence shows that such a tragedy had shut her down. I was not raped, but my father has tried to kill my mother and myself. I was in a place like Maya where it was just my poetry that displayed the emotions that I could not. Silence is not the key to everything, instead it just avoids the present world. Maya taught me that even though as humans we must go through things we must learn to bounce back from it and not let it keep us from our destination. I must stand up for myself in all I do, because if I don't who will!!

No comments:

Post a Comment